Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Arnhem Smurfs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 pm
Hello!

Here in the Netherlands we seem to see more and more of Haloween, although it is NOT a dutch tradition...
But with all the american movies, series and commerce helping it even more, you cannot really escape Haloween here anymore...

But here we have another tradiotion which serves the same purpose:
On the evening of 11 November, kids carrying lanterns go around peoples house and sing a song together.
As a reward they receive some candy...
Lol, they don't need to "trick" or scare people in giving them something.. :)

Although (as far as I know) a dutch tradition, not everywhere in the Netherlands it is fully operative.
Where I was born, we would just ring any doorbell, and get something 99 from 100 houses... In my neighbourhood only a considered bit strange single older guy...you would not have to go to. "Humbug" is wat comes to mind there..

Here in Arnhem it is known, and kids do go around but not everybody "plays along" and of course it is a bit anoying for kids to ring and sing...and people would not open the door...
So here is the solution: All those who are willing to support this tradition put a lantern or light behind the window...so the kids know the can come to you.

So look here what new purchased Smurf & Smurfette came in very handy this evening:

Greetings Ron & Aly

Postby Lia » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:52 pm
Here in Groningen, it`s the most normal thing in the world.
And a very old tradition.
All the children aged between 4 - 12, come to sing and pick up candy.
but in an area that is less familiar with it, you`ve thought of a very nice solution Ron! :D

Lia

Postby Arnhem Smurfs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:37 pm
I happened to be in Kolham today, and indeed understood is normal in Groningen area...
Same as it is in West-Friesland (Noord Holland).

The solution with the lanterns is not my idea...but was published in the local area magazine...I agree works very well.
We had 75 kids visiting this eve! :wave: :wave:

Lol...the kids might sing a song something like...
11 november is de dag dat mijn lichtje, dat mijn lichtje....
11 november is de dag, dat mijn lichtje schijnen mag
(11 november is the day my light may shine) :lalala:

but a few times heard variation:
12 november is de dag dat de tandarts, dat de tandarts
12 november is de dag dat de tandarts boren mag
(12 november is the day the dentist may drill.....) :)

Ron

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:54 am
Here in Germany, we do celebrate St. Maarten (=St. Martin) as well. :D I remember that I used to go with my lantern and with my parents, joining my class, singing:

"Ich geh' mit meiner Laterne und meine Laterne mit mir. Da oben leuchten die Sterne und unten leuchten wir.
Ein Lichtermeer zu Martins Ehr'! Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Der Martinsmann, der zieht voran. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Mein Licht ist schön, könnt ihr es sehn? Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Ich trag mein Licht, ich fürcht mich nicht. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Wie schön das klingt, wenn jeder singt. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Ein Kuchenduft liegt in der Luft. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Beschenkt uns heut, ihr lieben Leut'. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Laternenlicht, verlösch mir nicht. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain
Mein Licht ist aus, ich geh' nach Haus. Rabimmel, rabammel, rabumm.
Refrain "

Once we arrived home, I got a "Stutenkerl" from my parents. So yummy. :eat:

Postby Tojo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:28 am
It's the same here too.

All the kids follow a horse rider dressed as St Martin through the village singing songs & carrying lanters made at school or kindergarten.

After that they go to a large bonfire where more songs are sung & they then get given a "Weckmann" which is the same as Dominique's "Stutenkerl".
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby stampysmurf » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:12 pm
I love to hear about traditions from other countries! That sounds like so much fun! Thanks for posting pictures and telling about them! :D :D

Postby Arnhem Smurfs » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm
.....& they then get given a "Weckmann" which is the same as Dominique's "Stutenkerl".
I must say that I think the dutch kids would not settle for a "Weckmann" or a "Stutenkerl" :o (although I know them and like them as well).
:) They sort of expect a little bag of candy, or at least a few candies at every house they visit. I Know that when I was young my mom just to sort out my full bag of candies in a sort of "to eat" order, so that the long preservable one could be stocked away a little. It that way I was not overeating in a few days, and enjoying my candies for at least 2 months. :)

hmmm...We did not realise it than so much I guess, but the kids now realise (under presure of teachers and parents?) that if they don't take care the dentist is the one who profits most from Sint Maarten :eek: :shock: :eek:
Page 1 of 1

Login