Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 2
Postby saffie kamaland » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:27 am
I'm looking for rugby smurfs with black, white and blue shirts. Have some extra Historical Smurfs to trade or will buy them.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:34 am
Hi Saffie

Welcome to our forum, I hope you find some of the info useful. I don't have any of these unfortunately but hopefully someone else will be able to help. :grin:

Postby Rachel » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:26 am
Hi Saffie, welcome aboard.

I am afraid I don't have any spare rugby smurfs at the moment. :-(
One tip though, look out for them on Ebay.co.uk as this is where to find them. They were released in the UK during the National Garage Petrol promotion in the late 70's and early 80's.

Be careful though, unfortunately there are a few fake ones around. From a photo, the easiest way to tell a fake is the colour of the ball. The genuine coloured shirt rugby smurfs have a darker brown rugby ball whilst the normal rugby (and therefore the repaints) have a lighter, more reddish brown ball.
If you have a rugby smurf in you hand, by gently lifting his arm you can normally see if he has been repainted. The paint sometimes cracks in this area and you will see the yellow paint underneath!

Image Image

Notice the different coloured rugby balls. :-)
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]
Postby saffie kamaland » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:51 am
Thanx for the advice !
:D

Postby eggie smurf » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:47 pm
Rachel - what about this auction? The rugby smurfs (light blue and red) look to have the lighter ball you mentioned but hard to tell since there isn't a darker one to compare to.

:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Rachel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:03 am
Hi Staci, I wouldn't bid on them, the colour of the ball is definitely wrong.

Postby Smurfboy » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:21 am
Rachel what are the markings on the bottom of the bases for the rugby players?

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:45 am
Hello Saffie - Welcome to anther South African MEmber - Hey Syd - what's going on? Where the rest of the Aussies? lol

Saffie, I spoke to a mate of mine the other day and he has 2 of these Rugby smurfs - One Springbok of and a Welsh one - both given out at local Petrol stations in South africa around 1984....He said he would give them to me - 2.0065 - green and white is one of them - Whether he comes through with them or not is a different story.

They are worth between 100 euros to 160 euros...
Postby Saffie » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:03 am
Hi Pappa smurf. I have a springbok smurf (green ). Is there a Wallaby rugby smurf variation?( not talking about Gregan....LOL) :D
Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:17 am
No Gregan - lol - I'm not sure if there's a wallaby version - Syd, maybe you can enlighten Saffie?
Hi Pappa smurf. I have a springbok smurf (green ). Is there a Wallaby rugby smurf variation?( not talking about Gregan....LOL) :D

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:26 am
No there is no Wallaby Rugby Smurf and that's probably why there are no more Aussies here because they are sulking in protest. I am not a Rugby fan (Rugby League is far superior) so it doesn't bother me so much but I would love to see a Kangaroo League player some time.

Dyar

Postby Rachel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:12 pm
Rachel what are the markings on the bottom of the bases for the rugby players?
Hi Gary, I will have a look a little later, the smurfs are up in the attic but I know exactly where the rugby smurfs are. :grin:

Saffie, I spoke to a mate of mine the other day and he has 2 of these Rugby smurfs - One Springbok of and a Welsh one - both given out at local Petrol stations in South africa around 1984....He said he would give them to me - 2.0065 - green and white is one of them - Whether he comes through with them or not is a different story.
Hi Papa, you may find that your friend's red rugby smurf isn't actually the Welsh one but the British Lions. There is a red shirt, white short and GREEN socks variation out there which as far as I know was released in South Africa along with the Springbok's smurf.

The British Lions smurf is the one that eludes me so if anyone ever sees one on Ebay and don't want it themselves. Pleeeeease let me know. :eek:

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:55 pm
The British Lions smurf is the one that eludes me so if anyone ever sees one on Ebay and don't want it themselves. Pleeeeease let me know. :eek:
I think you mean more to the point if anyone sees it and can't afford it then let you know. I am sure we all want it. I will keep a look out for you though as I never have the money at the right time for some of the really good stuff but would be happy for someone here to succeed in crossing something off their wishlist.

Dyar
Postby Saffie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:56 am
Hi Rachel & Dyar. I have 2 rugby smurfs with red shirt &green socks. Came out with springbok smurfs in early 80's. I,m looking for all black rugby smurf (trade or buy). can you help ??

Postby Rachel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:03 am
Hi Saffie, I would definitely be interested in a red shirt green socks rugby smurf if you have one spare. Unfortunately I don't have an all black rugby spare, I only have the one of him. I do have *I think* a red shirt / red socks smurf and a light blue shirt / red socks rugby spare but both are in a pretty bad condition.

I can certainly look out for an all black one for you and maybe if you are interested in selling / trading one of your red shirt green socks rugby smurfs you could PM me.
Postby Saffie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:35 am
Rachel. U got my reply???

Postby Rachel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:10 pm
Hi Saffie, just replied, sorry I have been in the garden.

Good avatar choice. :)
Postby Saffie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:15 pm
My first name is also Johann...quite fitting?? :D :D

Postby Rachel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:06 pm
Cool name. :grin:

Gary, I have just checked markings for rugby smurfs:

W. Germany, Schleich, 1980, Peyo
Some have yellow dots, some don't. No markings on the smurfs themselves.

:grin:

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:39 pm
Hi Saffie

I would love one of those Rugby players too but I am not sure I have anything of equal to trade with you that is spare.

Dyar
Page 1 of 2

Login